What has gone before this blog
The projects I have made before I started this blog were not many. I have made 4 bookcases, numerous pens, and some cutting boards.
The bookcases were not my best work, I have yet to get the knack down to cut a circle or curve that isn't somewhat jagged or off balance. I also have had some other mistakes with the bookcases, learn from my mistakes and maybe have a laugh while your at it.
Mistake #1 was gluing the top of a bookcase on the bottom of it. It was suppose to have 2 shorter legs and 2 shelves about 10" apart. Instead I have a stubby little shelf at the top, a large shelf, and really long legs. Gluing together the thing after working 14 hours was not smart and to make it worse I didn't realize it was glued upside down until 3 days later when I took the clamps off, well after the glue had set up and there was no way I was going to be able to break that glue bond, the maple was going to break before that glue did.
Mistake #2 was not double checking my measurements on a little bookcase, I cut the sides about 8" too short so the shelving end up with smaller spacing. It now has life as a telephone stand at my parents house, seems to work well enough and they put other papers to be filed on the 2nd level.
Mistake #3 was trying to use pocket hole screw and then put plugs in, then trying to flush cut the plugs. That just ended up with me taking a chisel and knocking the plugs out while tearing some of the wood, thankfully it was on the underside and back so it was not really noticeable.
Mistake #4 was when I was making a bookcase for my cellar workshop out of some plywood. I forgot to account for dados when I cut the shelves, and I tried to use a jigsaw and a board as a straight edge. That didn't work too well, which caused me to break out the circular saw (borrowed from my father). I ended up cutting off part of the MDF top of one of my mobile shop carts.
The pens have had enough mistakes a seperate post will be devoted to them later.
Photos will also be posted once I have a camera to take the photos and upload them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home